As a Marketing and Intuitive Business Coach many clients come to me initially because they want clarity on their path and next steps to realize their ideal business.
While part of my genius is to help this path reveal itself, and for confidence and clarity to grow, there is a myth that I see burden many creative entrepreneurs with unnecessary struggle and strain.
I call it the Myth of Certainty.
Many entrepreneurs are seeking a permanent state of certainty that doesn't exist.
- A perfect niche to last a lifetime
- An infallible 5 or 10-year plan
- A way to carve out your space in the marketplace, forever
Unfortunately this kind of certainty doesn't exist.
Clarity, your next best steps, your niche, creating your ideal business is not a linear or one-time affair. Rather it is an upward spiral and an ever-occurring process.
Reading this, you may be relieved at the truth of this sentiment.
Or you may be pissed. The process never ends, says the marketing coach? Don't people pay you to get clear, to move forward, to get to the next level?
Yes. And, the truth is, you're never “done” with clarity, with realizing your path, with stepping into your calling and the twists and turns, whether you hire a coach or not. Again, at least a part of you is relieved, as you know what I'm saying is true.
I personally think it's a better, smoother ride with company, which is why I almost always have a 1-1 coach. Or two. Or three.
But the clarity process never stops. If you don't like this truth- sorry. But also, the truth is good for you.
Here's what I also know: The process, the ride can be fun. If you let it be.
And: Clues to your most aligned path are everywhere.
You'll notice them everywhere if you open up to it.
Having coaches, mentors, and trusted colleagues to hold up a mirror or notice the clues with you can help. But, you can too.
Notice when you feel good, and the money flows. Celebrate! Who is swimming toward you? Who do you naturally attract? Success, big and small, leave clues. Every time you notice a new “clue” you have the opportunity to weave it back in to your brand, your message, and what you offer, for even greater alignment and purpose.
Notice when you don't feel good, and where the money doesn't flow. Celebrate! There is always something to learn. Success leaves clues and so does “failure.” Here's what I've learned from a lifetime immersed in the creative process- from acting, to writing, to business, public speaking, standup comedy even-
The breakdown always proceeds the breakthrough.
Sometimes the deal that falls through, the client who didn't sign up, the launch that didn't sell how you thought it was, is the biggest catalyst to the clarity and confidence you truly desire. It is the universe re-aligning and re-directing you, in thought or action. Or perhaps both. Either way, something important is being brought to your attention. Will you receive this gift? Or would you rather use that as a way to beat yourself up, to self criticize, to call yourself a failure?
If you base your happiness on any individual outcome going exactly as planned, you will likely be unhappy, whether you stick to the entrepreneurial path or not. The exact way the details fall are not in your control.
We all want clarity and certainty, a sense of where we're going and a feeling that we are safe, supported, and loved. But remember, constant certainty = boredom, so the truth is we want some certainty, only some of the time. But none of us can count on getting that certainty from the outside.
You do not control what is on the outside, you control what is happening on the inside and the aligned actions you take, which can spark your outer success.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Knowing the specific outcomes you want, in vivid detail, so you can ask the universe for it
- Holding the vision of what you want in your focus consistently
- Listening to what feels good and flows, and following that ease, with more action and good-feeling thoughts
- Asking yourself for the learning and wisdom when something doesn't feel good or go as planned. Releasing, or at least-diminishing the urge to call yourself a failure, loser, ideal (not kind to you, and not helpful).
- Managing the meaning you make out of things. “That fell through because it was not part of my highest path” is a very different story than “No one wants to work with me because I am a loser” or “I knew I wasn't any good at this.”
- Following the call of your intuition and trying out new things, without expectation. Just see what happens!
- Loving yourself.
- Remembering in spite of your fears and worries that may surface, there are people who need you right now. If you aren't sure that people need you right now, consider that people might, and focus on want you can do to help and serve. While you're at it, get out of your head, and step out from behind the computer! 🙂
Because the Myth of Certainty is that the Myth of Certainty is also a myth. Because you CAN feel absolutely certain right now. Wait, what!? Okay, I realize this contradicts everything I just said, but bear with me...
You CAN feel certainty right now, about YOU. Your faith, your vision, your strength, you resourcefulness. Your ability to be persistent, to love, to help, to figure it out in time. Be the certainty you were looking for all along, and you will navigate any “uncertain” waters with more ease and more grace. Be the guarantee that you will be happy and whole no matter what. And trust that, if it really is up to you, you might as well trust your heart's path, and you might as well take a leap into the void every now and then.
In love and appreciation of your fearlessness and wonder...