Recently, a private client expressed feeling of intense anxiety and panic about her business.
One of her specialties as a coach and healer was helping others overcome the exact same challenge- stress and anxiety- which only compounded her personal feelings of worry...and feeling like a Fraud.
Have you ever felt like an imposter, even though deep down, you knew you are reeeeaally good at what to do?
She asked me,
Do you think I am crazy for feeling this way?"
"Absolutely not," I said.
Then, I intuitively started to ask her a series of questions:
- How often are you doing activities that energize and inspire you?
- How often are you doing activities that are draining and depleting you?
- Are you taking care of yourself and regularly detaching from your business?
It didn't take long to realize the real root of the problem.
Most of the time my client was doing activities that were draining her, or worrying about the future, rather than being in her "zone of genius," and sharing her gifts (not to mention, there wasn't dedicated time for breaks, or non-work-related FUN).
I said, "You're not crazy. You're just a fish out of water!"
Think about it: A fish's purpose is to swim. It's purpose is to be in the water and do what it was designed to do. If you take it out of the water it will writhe around and that is TO BE EXPECTED, as it was not meant to act against its design.
It is the same for you.
If you are spending the majority of your time doing activities that drain and deplete you (marketing activities that go against your innate genius because you feel like you "should," working with NOT ideal clients, or just plain not getting enough interaction), emotionally, you'll be writhing around just like that fish.
The relief is- feeling better isn't complicated. Simply put yourself back in the water!
In this case, that means:
- Spend more of your time in your Zone of Genius, instead of outside of it. If you are worrying more than you are sharing your badass gifts, you've got to flip that ratio 🙂
- If you need more time to replenish yourself, do it. If you need more interaction to feel sane, build it into your schedule.
- Design environments and community that support you and reflect back your best qualities.
You are not crazy. But if you feel crazy (as we all do from time to time) take it as a call to action to put yourself back in the water.
You were born to swim.
Enjoy this blog? Share with your friends!
Now, I want to know:
- How do you stay energized and inspired in your business?